counter statistics

Clarke Quay

The Singapore River has been the centre of trade since modern Singapore was founded in 1819. During the colonial era, Boat Quay was the commercial centre where barge lighters would transport goods upstream to warehouses at Clarke Quay.

See Related VRs
Clarke Quay At Night Restaurants

At the height of its prosperity, dozens of bumboats jostled for mooring space beside Clarke Quay. This continued well into the latter half of the twentieth century. By this time, the Singapore River had also become very polluted. The government decided to relocate cargo services to a new modern facility in Pasir Panjang. The bumboats and lorries departed to their new home and Clarke Quay fell silent.

The government then cleaned up the Singapore River and its environment from 1977 to 1987. Plans were made to revamp the area and turn it into a flourishing commercial, residential and entertainment precinct. These plans took into serious consideration the historical value of Clarke Quay, making it mandatory that new buildings complement the historical character of the area and that certain old buildings be restored.

Visit the official website
www.clarkequay.com.sg

 

Back to previous page

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player